Musing Mondays is a weekly meme hosted by MizB that asks you to muse about one of several “bookish” questions… or, you can just ramble on about anything you like that pertains to books! You can join in by clicking the graphic above. Go ahead–it’s fun!
Here’s my musing for this week–
I found this ten-question bookish quiz quite awhile ago and thought I’d save it for a rainy day. Well, today it is literally raining in my part of the world–so here are my answers to ten bookish questions:
1. Do you read during breakfast? I usually eat breakfast at my desk when I get to work (lately I’ve been making oatmeal in the microwave) and I’m often reading work-related things such as emails while I eat. I don’t usually eat breakfast on weekends, but if I did I’m sure that I’d be reading a book while doing so.
2. How many hours a day would you say you read? Weekdays—at least an hour a day. Weekends—maybe 3-4 hours a day, sometimes more depending on what else is going on. Reading is definitely the non-work-related activity that I spend the most time doing.
3. Do you read more or less now than you did, say, 10 years ago? That’s a hard one. I didn’t keep track in any way of how much I was reading back then, but I’ve always read a lot. I think I’m probably reading about the same amount. However, I know I’m using the library more often instead of buying new books—my budget just can’t keep up with my TBR list!
4. Do you consider yourself a speed reader? I think I read pretty quickly compared to many people. Sometimes I need to remind myself to slow down and appreciate what I’m reading.
5. Do you carry a book with you everywhere you go? YES! I always have a book or magazine in my car, and I usually have my kindle in my purse. You just never know when you’re going to be stuck in traffic, in a waiting room, etc!
6. How old were you when you got your first library card? I don’t remember the specific age, but I can’t remember NOT having a library card. I assume I got it when I started school—so probably age 5-6. Before I had my own card my parents took me to the library regularly and checked out books for me on their cards.
7. What’s the oldest book you have in your collection? (Oldest physical copy? Longest in the collection? Oldest copyright?) I have an ABC book that was my dad’s–the copyright date is 1937!
8. Do you read in bed? Yes—nearly every day! If I wake up early on the weekend I’ll stay in bed and read for awhile. I always try to read at least a couple of pages right before I go to sleep at night. I used to be able to stay up really late to read, but not anymore!
9. Do you write in your books? Yes—I don’t have any issues with writing in books that I own. I’ll often write page numbers on the inside front cover if I don’t want to underline in the text for some reason.
10. If you had one piece of advice to a new reader, what would it be? Read as many different kinds of books as you can as often as you can! Don’t let others tell you what you should or shouldn’t be reading—if it’s of interest to you, that’s reason enough!
How about you? Do we have any answers in common? Please feel free to share your own answers to one of more of these questions in the comment section!