Musing Mondays is a weekly meme hosted by MizB that asks you to muse about one of several “bookish” questions… or, you can just ramble on about anything you like that pertains to books! You can join in by clicking the graphic above. Go ahead–it’s fun!
Here’s my musing for this week–
I’ve seen this book lover’s quiz on a few blogs lately, so I thought I’d join in the fun! Ready? Here we go!
1. Do you have a specific place for reading? I’ll read just about anywhere, but my very favorite spot is my big blue overstuffed chair in the corner of my library/office.
2. Book mark or random piece of paper? I’ll use the freebie bookmarks that I get when I buy books if they’re handy—otherwise I’ll use a receipt or other piece of paper. If it’s a book that I own, I’ll dog-ear as a last resort.
3. Can you just stop anywhere in a book or do you have to stop at the end of a chapter? I like to stop at the end of a chapter if possible, but sometimes when I read in bed at night I get so tired that I just stop wherever I am on the page.
4. Do you eat or drink when reading? Often! I live alone, so it’s very rare that I eat a meal at home without a book in front of me. If it’s not mealtime, I’ll often be sipping or nibbling at something. These days it’s usually Crystal Lite Raspberry Lemonade and maybe some crackers or some chocolate candy—something that doesn’t drip or splash!
5. Music or TV on when reading? I hardly ever just sit and watch TV without doing something else—folding clothes, doing paperwork, etc—and if I don’t have a chore to do, I’ll usually have a book in front of me when I’m watching. Music is OK, too. The only exception is if I’m reading something really involved for work—then I need as few distractions as possible.
6. One book at a time or several? I am NOT into monogamy when it comes to books! I’m usually reading at least two books at once. Right now I’m reading an essay collection and a memoir, and I’m also listening to a novel during my daily commute.
7. Reading at home or elsewhere? EVERYWHERE! I often read on my lunch break at work, and sometimes I’ll even read at long stop lights when I’m driving. I finished a book in my doctor’s waiting room last week.
8. Read out loud or silently? Silently—although I do LOVE to read aloud to kids. When I was teaching I read aloud to my kids from a novel everyday—even when I was teaching high school. And when I was a bookseller I used to love running the weekly story times.
9. Do you read ahead or skip pages? I’ve never understood how some people can skip ahead and read the end of a book first–although I have been known to physically cover the facing page with my hand if I’m reading an especially suspenseful part–to keep myself from “accidently” reading ahead! The only time I’ll skip pages is if I’m reading something with a lot of description and I just can’t take it anymore.
10. Breaking the spine or keeping it like new? I can read a paperback from cover to cover without breaking the spine, but I don’t mind books that are broken in—it just shows that they’ve been well read!
11. Do you write in your books? Sometimes—I’ll underline passages I like or quotes I want to remember. Sometimes I jot down the page number inside the cover if I don’t want to underline. I only do this in my own books, of course!
12. Who are you tagging? I don’t tag people, but if you want to play along, please leave your link in the comments so I can visit and read your answers!