1) This song begins with, “So no one told you life was gonna be this way …” What do you wish you knew five years ago about your life now? Wow—I really like this question! Five years ago, I wish I would have known how important it is to go with my gut. (If it looks like a duck . . . etc etc etc ). I could have saved myself a lot of heartache if I had paid more attention to that inner voice instead of trying to explain things away. Five years later, I pay much more attention to that inner voice.
2) This is, of course, the theme from Friends, which is frequently shown back-to-back on TVLand and TBS. Have you ever “binge-watched” a show, catching episode after episode? Absolutely! It’s one of my favorite things to do on a rainy afternoon. My most recent binge was watching a full season of NYPD Blue over a few days. What a great, smart show that was. Plus, Jimmy Smits. ‘Nuff said.
3) On the show, Monica and Rachel shared a beautiful 2BR/2BA Soho apartment with a private balcony. It’s estimated that such a pad would cost at least $3500/month in today’s real-life New York. Describe your dream home. Big kitchen with plenty of counter space and storage, a room for my office, a room for exercise, a library, and a bedroom with a sitting area. A yard with plenty of trees and plants and privacy. Close to stores and services but in a quiet neighborhood. My current home actually has a few of these things!
4) Of the six main characters, only Chandler was an only child. Do you have any siblings? Nope.
5) Gunther was the barista at Central Perk, the coffee shop where the Friends hung out. He had an ongoing, unrequited love for Rachel. Are you crushing on anyone right now? Does he/she know? Another nope.
6) Currently Matt (“Joey”) LeBlanc stars in the Showtime series Episodes, playing a character named Matt LeBlanc. If there was going to be series based on your life, who would play you? I’m a bit younger than she is, but I think Sally Field would be a good match.
7) Courtney Cox, who portrayed Monica, has the Twitter handle @CourtneyCox and has 628,000 followers. What was your last tweet? I have never tweeted. I don’t think there’s that much urgent or fascinating stuff going on in my life to justify tweeting.
8) The creators of Friends were massive soap opera fans. They named their characters after recurring characters on All My Children and had Joey appear on Days of Our Lives. Have you ever been hooked on a daytime drama? In high school I was addicted to All My Children and in college it was General Hospital. My friends and I tried to schedule our afternoon classes around GH. I still remember all of us watching Luke and Laura’s wedding together!
9) The band who performed this song, The Rembrandts, took their name from the famous Dutch painter. Can you see any artwork from where you’re sitting right now? Tell us about it (and yes, a school painting by your 7-year-old nephew counts). I have a couple of cartoons pinned up on the bulletin board above my desk. They really don’t translate well, so I’m not going to describe them—but they make me happy when I see them!