1. What did you want to be when you were little? I always wanted to be a teacher—I constantly played school with my stuffed animals when I was really young. My dad was a principal for many years and he used to bring me extra grade books and planning books from the teacher supply room at his school—I thought that was the greatest thing ever! I ended up teaching in a high school special ed program for nine years.
2. Would you prefer to have a large group of friends, or a small group of friends? Why? I’ve pretty much always had a small group of close friends. I prefer to have deep relationships with a few friends rather than more casual relationships with many.
3. What is your fashion “style”? Or what type of clothes do you wear on a daily basis? I don’t deal with the public in my job, so I usually wear jeans to work every day. If I need to dress up, I wear nice pants, a fitted jacket, and the highest heels I can get away with. I don’t think I’ve worn a dress or skirt in a couple of years. I probably wear black, grey and blue most often. I don’t look good in yellow.
4. If you could live anywhere where would you live? If money wasn’t an issue, I’d love to live in San Francisco—I love the atmosphere there, the homes are beautiful, the weather never gets too cold, the food is great. . . unfortunately the cost of living out there is crazy high.
5. What is your biggest hope for the next year? Continued good health for myself and my loved ones.
6. When you pass by reflective surfaces do you check yourself out? Sure—doesn’t everybody at least take a peek?
7. Favorite genre of movie as well as TV show? I like a good drama that makes me think. . . The West Wing and NYPD Blue were two TV shows that fit that bill for me. I miss them both!
8. Top favorite books? (limit of 5) Oh boy—only FIVE??? OK—Charlotte’s Web, Harriet the Spy, The Dive From Clausen’s Pier, The Pact, and A Tree Grows In Brooklyn.
9. Have you ever taken a cooking class? Not since taking Home Ec in school. I still can’t eat stuffed peppers after a bad Home Ec experience in high school.
10. What three words would you use to describe yourself? Opinionated, creative, decisive
11. Favorite animal? Favorite pet is any type of rescued animal. Favorite wild animal . . . I always like to watch penguins!
12. What is your dream job? I have it right now! It combines books, literacy, and education—my three passions.
13. If you could go back in history to any moment that you did not live, what would it be and why? That’s a tough one – nothing is coming to mind—let’s just move on . . .
14. If you could have any superpower, what would it be? Why? I would love to have the ability to instantly and accurately diagnose illness. I am the biggest hypochondriac ever—if I had this power it would save me a lot of (usually) needless worry.
15. What is your favorite movie? Just ONE? It’s a tie between Ordinary People and The Big Chill.
16. What is your best childhood memory? Riding bikes to the library in the summer with a friend, and then coming home and reading, and then talking with each other about our books.
17. What is your favorite part about blogging? I love knowing that other people around the world are reading what I write.
18. What is your favorite quote? Again, just ONE? I love collecting quotes. I’ll go with “Forgiveness doesn’t excuse their behavior. Forgiveness prevents their behavior from destroying your heart.” I read this somewhere about a year ago–it stopped me in my tracks and made an enormous difference in my process of moving on from a hurtful relationship.
19. What song do you feel like describes your life the best? Why? I’m coming up blank here–
20. Would you describe yourself as shy or outgoing? Totally depends on the situation. In big groups I’m usually quiet. In smaller groups I’m often a leader.