1) In 1998, Cher became the oldest woman to top the Billboard Hot 100 with “Believe.” She was 52 at the time. At what age do you think you did hit/will hit your prime? I think my fifties are going to be awesome! So far I’m not disappointed.
2) Cher is as well known for her outrageous outfits as for her singing. What’s the latest piece of clothing you added to your wardrobe? I bought some really cute (but not in any way outrageous) thermal Henley print tops right after Christmas.
3) Cher credits her unique looks to her diverse ethnicity. Her father was Armenian and her mom is English/German/Cherokee. From where did your ancestors come? My mom’s parents came to the US from Switzerland, and my dad’s relatives are all from Germany.
4) When she was a little girl, Cher produced and starred in a schoolyard production of Oklahoma. Were you involved in drama or theater in school? No, but I went to all the plays and musicals because a lot of my friends were either in drama or were in the orchestra. I think I would have liked being in plays—it’s just something I never pursued.
5) Cher is open about her plastic surgery, speaking freely about having had her breasts ‘done’, her nose bobbed and her teeth straightened. If you could change one physical feature about yourself, which would it be? And what would you never change, under any circumstances? I wish I had better hair. I’m always fighting with it.That’s all I’d change. Everything else (i.e. my weight lately!) is in my own power to change—I just need to DO IT!
6) There’s a stubborn rumor, often denied, that Cher had a rib removed so that she could maintain her long and lean silhouette. What’s the most outrageous thing anyone has said of you? Wow—I’m coming up blank here. Moving on . . .
7) When she was a kid, Cher practiced her autograph. Do you have a clear, legible signature? Or is it more of a scrawl? It depends on how hurried I am.
8) Cher asks, “Do you believe in life after love?” Crazy Sam’s question is easier and less profound: Do you believe in luck? I can’t claim credit for this, and I forget where I heard it, but I firmly believe in the philosophy that luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.
9) Did you make any resolutions for 2014? I want to keep doing more things for the first time in 2014—it worked out well for me in 2013!