1) Black is this week’s signature color because Friday, November 29, was “Black Friday,” when retailers cut their prices and consumers flock to the stores. Did you score any “Black Friday” bargains? No—I don’t like to shop on Black Friday. I do most of my holiday shopping online, and I’ll probably do most of it today and tomorrow—at home in my pajamas.
2) Legend has it that Black Friday began as a neighborhood phenomenon among storeowners in Philadelphia back in the early 1960s. What else comes to mind when you think of Philly? The very first thing that popped into my head was Elton John’s “Phildelphia Freedom.” And now it’ll probably be in my head for the rest of the day!
3) Feasting and football are also popular Thanksgiving weekend pastimes. Do your Thursday-Sunday plans include pigging out or watching a game? I don’t typically watch sports on Thanksgiving Day, but I will watch some football and hockey throughout the holiday weekend. (Side note–the Chicago Blackhawks won last night in a thrilling shootout! OK–now back to our regularly scheduled programming.) Feasting throughout the weekend is also a given…I usually like eating the leftovers more than the actual holiday meal.
4) At Thanksgiving dinners, Crazy Sam’s homemade gravy is always a hit. (Probably because she’s so generous with the cognac, which gives the gravy a nutty taste.) Do you have a signature dish? For Thanksgiving, I’m usually asked to make a cauliflower/broccoli/cheese casserole/side dish. For everyday cooking—I’m known for my spaghetti sauce with meatballs (my go-to company meal).
5) Among the biggest the Black Friday advertisers are Target, Kohl’s, Macy’s and Best Buy. If you could have a $100 gift card to any one of those stores, which would you choose? Although I love Kohl’s, I’d pick Target—you can find just about anything there!
6) You’re in a public restroom that offers both paper towels and a hot air hand dryer. Which one do you choose? Paper towels. I’m never patient enough to get all the way dry with those blowers.
7) While Back to Black is the best-selling Amy Winehouse CD, her first was called Frank, named for her hero, Frank Sinatra. Tell us about someone you inspires you. Hmmm…I’m drawing a blank on a person who inspires me. So instead, here’s a quote that continually inspires me:
8) Do you consider yourself a pessimist or an optimist? I really try to be a “glass half full” kind of gal. Some days it’s harder than others.
9) Who was the last person you spoke to on the phone (a verbal conversation — not an exchange of texts)? I don’t text. The last person I spoke to on the phone was my mom.