1) This is one of the first songs to see a bump in sales after its video was shown on MTV. Do you ever watch music videos? Do MTV or VH1 even show music videos anymore? I do remember watching tons of music videos on MTV when I was in college. I remember watching the premiere showing of Michael Jackson’s Thriller video in the TV lounge in my college dorm—we’d never seen anything like it before!
2) Golden Earring is from the Netherlands. The average life expectancy there is 79 years old. Who is the oldest person you know? My dad is 77.
3) The song’s composer says the song and especially the video were inspired by the 1980 book, The Bourne Identity. The espionage thriller was finally made into a movie with Matt Damon in 2002. Do you have a favorite secret agent/spy? Can’t think of one . . .
4) The song’s title comes from The Twilight Zone TV show, which ran from 1959 to 1964. Are there any old shows that you enjoy watching in reruns? I love running across reruns of the Mary Tyler Moore show, and I also like the old Dragnet reruns with Jack Webb for all the unintentional humor and horrible acting.
5) “All guys cheat on their girlfriends, so yeah, I forgive him.” Sam heard a young woman say that into her phone as they waited in line at the drugstore. While Sam is always surprised by how much personal information people share in the public, that’s not what we’re concentrating on this morning. Do you think that it’s true? Do all guys cheat on their girlfriends? I don’t think there’s anything that “all guys” do.
6) Whenever Sam goes to the grocery store she picks up Milk Bone Dog Biscuits because her dog looks at her with sad eyes when she tries to reward him anything else. Is there any product that has your brand loyalty? With most things I buy whatever brand is on sale—but I only buy Heinz ketchup!
7) Do you have a piggy bank or a coin jar? I have a vintage hot chocolate tin on my desk where I save my spare quarters.
8) Sam knows that she’s always supposed to wear sunscreen, even on cloudy days, but she sometimes forgets. What do you know you should do, but sometimes don’t? I don’t check the oil in my car or the air in my tires nearly as often as I should. Maybe I’ll go do that now . . .
9) Retailers report that sales of Halloween costumes for grown-ups are strong. Since Halloween was earlier this week and there will be parties this weekend … What’s your costume for Halloween 2013? If you aren’t dressing up this year, tell us about one of your favorite outfits from a Halloween gone by. Honestly, I can’t remember the last time I wore a Halloween costume as an adult. I do have a photo of myself dressed as a “scary witch” when I was a toddler—I’m trying to make a scary face but I’m laughing instead.