1) This song is about a woman passionate about love and willing to pursue it, no matter what “they say.” Are you fearless when it comes to public opinion? Or do you worry about what “they” think of you? I’ve been working on this and I’m much more open about expressing my thoughts in public—especially at my job, and somewhat better in my personal life. It’s a work in progress! I actually found that once I hit 40, I stopped caring so much about what other people think.
2) Melissa’s father was a high school teacher. Tell us about a teacher who had an impact on you. So many—but I’ll pick Dr. Davis who taught my Essay Writing class when I was a senior in HS. I thought I was a pretty good writer when I started that class but Dr. Davis didn’t let me rest on that–he showed me how far I could go, and he helped me start to get there. It was hands down the most challenging class I ever took—in HS or college.
3) Melissa won a Grammy for this song. If you won a major award, where would you display it? Maybe at home on one of my bookshelves or on my desk.
4) Which TV game show do you think you’d do better on — The Price Is Right or Wheel of Fortune? Definitely Wheel of Fortune! I’m good with words—not so much with shopping.
5) Are you neat and organized? I go in phases on this—I start out super organized, then slowly grow more and more disorganized until I’ve had enough. Then I tidy things up and start again. I know that I feel much better emotionally and mentally when I’m organized.
6) When was the last time you went more than a day without washing your hair? OMG—if I washed my hair every day it would get so dry it would fall out! I wash my hair every 3 days. The other days I shower and very carefully keep my hair out of the soap and water.
7) When you eat Chinese food, do you use chopsticks or a fork? Fork
8) Are you a good cook? I’m not even going to attempt modesty here—I’m a really good cook. My specialties are spaghetti with meatballs (my go-to “company meal”), homemade soups (I’m planning to make homemade vegetable beef barley soup today), and various chocolate treats. My mom is a fabulous cook and we share recipes all the time.
9) We’re having a party in your honor! Would you prefer a costume party, a bowling party or a pool party? Do I have to pick from these? Can we just get together and eat great little snacks, have some adult beverages available for those who want them, some nice music in the background, and just visit and laugh a lot? That’s what I’d like!