I’ll read just about anywhere, but I do have a favorite reading spot in my home. I have a loft on the second floor, and it’s where I have my desk and a set of beautiful, tall bookshelves–and it’s my very favorite place to relax with a book.
Here are the ten things that make this the place where I enjoy reading the most:
1. My most comfortable chair. I have a big blue overstuffed armchair with a matching ottoman in a corner of this room. It was one of the first pieces of furniture I bought when I moved into my house. When I bought it, the saleswoman called it a “Hug Me Chair” and it’s the perfect name—the back curves forward slightly at the sides and when I settle into it I almost feel enveloped—but not in a trapped way—it’s all good! I love reading in this chair—the only bad thing is that it’s very easy to drift off into a nap there, too!
2. Good floor lamp. This sits in the corner just behind me. Reading in low light is not relaxing!
3. Throw. Or I guess some people would call it a light blanket. I am pretty much always cold. I usually want a light throw covering at least my legs. In the winter, I’m bundled up all the way to my chin!
4. Pets. I have two cats. When I’m in the “Hug Me” chair, Miss Maggie usually comes running and gets comfortable on my lap. Dickens is usually curled up on the ottoman, or sitting in the window, which brings us to #5 . . .
5. Window. I have a very large double window to the side of my chair. It looks out on the backyards of my neighborhood. When it’s open I usually get a really nice, light breeze. I especially like to read by this window when it’s raining or snowing really hard. The window sills are low and just the right size for a cat (or two).
6. Snacks. No reading session is complete without a snack and/or beverage handy. Something chocolate is the best!
7. Tissues. For possible colds, or allergies, or an especially sad chapter. No one wants to have to get up in the middle of a good book to find a tissue!
8. Notepad and pen. No matter how good my book is, my mind does sometimes wander to other things. If I can jot those things down, then I can get right back to my book. I am a multi-tasker at heart, I guess!
9. Very quiet music. Nothing distracting, but I do sometimes put some very soft music on while I read.
10. Another book! If I’m getting close to the end of what I’m reading, I like to have a new book nearby just in case I’m not quite ready to quit reading. It’s best to be prepared!
How about you? What’s your favorite place to read? What would we find there? Please share—I’d love to hear about it!